You can improve your health, calm your anger, and relax with one simple act: deep breathing.
It is a straightforward, but effective practice commonly used in yoga and meditation. Deep breathing has several positive effects for your body, mind, and spirit. It allows much-needed oxygen to enter your bloodstream, which helps everything from your brain to your immune system.
Here are 11 benefits of deep breathing:
- Breathing improves your blood flow and increases circulation to all parts of the body.
- Your body produces endorphins, which relieve pain and improve your mood.
- Breathing helps ease tension in your body and its muscles.
- Oxygenation helps strengthen the muscles.
- The nervous system improves when your brain and spinal cord receive more oxygen.
- The digestive system improves because breathing massages the stomach, small intestines, and other lower body muscles.
- The immune system is enhanced when oxygen attaches hemoglobin to the red blood cells, which metabolizes into vitamins and nutrients.
- Your mind becomes relaxed and uncluttered, allowing for more productive thoughts and higher creativity.
- Breathing promotes good posture by encouraging you to sit upright.
- Your blood pressure lowers.
- Exhaling cleanses your body of carbon dioxide and other toxins.
Deep breathing is easy to do and requires almost no effort at all. You can do it anywhere at any time. It might not seem like much at first, but it’s worth it to do it, at least when stressed. Give it a try!